Sunday, December 21, 2014

A Printhian Origins trial

I haven't worked on this much, but here goes an idea.
In short, it's what I've been working on during my breaks at work.
I'm currently exploring the idea of adding more races to the lot, but right now I have all that I can handle.

~*~

From man came the five sons; from each son came a general race. 
The oldest, the fire elthian; the second, the earth; the third, the human; the fourth, the water; the youngest, the air. From each race sprang up other sub races. 
From fire came the drakes and the dragons. 
From earth the faes and pixies. 
From water the myrs and the nymphs. 
From air the satyrs and the sylphs.


Each sub race grew to use a particular talent inherited from their forefather. 
The drakes, fire and poisonous fumes; they dwelt on hot, dry land and had scaly skin. 
The dragons, fire and ashes; they dwelt in the mountains and could change their shape and size. 
The faes, plants and all that grow; they dwelt in warm places and had wings. 
The pixies, rocks and minerals; they dwelt in hard to reach places and are in small in stature. 
The myrs, water and mist; they dwelt in the oceans and deltas and had fins instead of legs. 
The nymphs, water and fog; they dwelt on wet land and can breathe underwater when needed. 
The satyrs, wind and storms; the dwelt wherever they can (usually flat and lonely lands), but never in groups of more than two or three. 
The sylphs, sight and emotion; the rarest of all the races, they dwelt in dark places and are never fond of company. 

The humans are the most ancient of all races. 

~*~

As you can probably tell, I'm not using elves as my main race as I had originally started out with.
I am, instead, using my beginning idea of using elements and naming their users elthian.
Which, coincidentally, sounds very similar to elven.
Completely unintentional.
Go figure.

P. S. I have not yet started writing any stories in this realm. I am, currently as well as in the past, using this realm to explore things about fairy tales that have always nagged me. E.g.:  half-lings. If they were completely different kinds of beings (fairies, elves, mermaids, humans, etc.), how could they still have children with each other? So, Printhia was born.

Keep on Writing!

God Bless,
SDG
Joy

1 comment:

  1. I like that the humans are the eldest race. Finally, we are no longer the babies of the fantastical world. The half-ling thing always confused me too.

    ReplyDelete