Monday, February 17, 2014

The Beauty of Revelation

I love that moment when you're almost asleep, and you suddenly understand something.
Whatever you've been trying to figure out for the last few weeks just 'clicks'.
You're mind just puts together the things that you've been reading, and connects the dots.

This weekend I decided to go through my email and read the posts that I've been 'setting aside' from This Page Intentionally Left Blank.
One of them was on back story.

For weeks I've been struggling about possibly showing the reasons why my two villains are villains in my current WIP.

Today my brain made a collision.
Err, connection.

I know why.
AND
I don't have to show why until later.

So Nika has a great distrust of men.
Except she trusts her brother.
I don't have to TELL why, just show that she does.

Casimir has a great hatred for the royal family.
Except he also hates hurting women, especially if they're younger.
I don't have to TELL why, just show that he does.

Needless to say, this is very, very, very helpful.
Back story doesn't have to be shown right away.
Duh.
But that isn't always obvious, or else I wouldn't have had this revelation happen to me.
I hope this helps ya'll in some way!

Keep on Writing!

God Bless,
SDG
Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment